Minnesota North College
Federal School Code 002355

Financial aid can be overwhelming, but here at Minnesota North College we are dedicated to making the process as stress free as possible. We offer financial aid estimate service, assistance in filing the financial aid application, and review of forms for accuracy. By planning ahead, gathering information, comparing options, and seeking assistance from the Financial Aid Offices, you can start investing in your future today.

Important Financial Aid information


How to Apply:

  1. Create an FSA ID
    Students and parents or dependent students must create individual FSA IDs to electronically sign the FAFS. Students and parents will need to use separate email addresses to create an FSA ID – choose an email address that will be accessible long-term
  2. Complete the FAFSA
    FAFSA completion is required for all federal student aid and is used to determine your eligibility for many state, regional, and institutional aid programs at Minnesota North College. Use federal school code 002355 to send your FAFSA to Minnesota North for processing. It takes approximately 3 business days for your application to reach our office.

Additional Resources:

How to Fill out the FAFSA – Helpful video provided by the Federal Student Aid Office
Grad Ready – Helpful resources, tools, and tips to help you succeed.


Direct Deposit is the official payment method for disbursing financial aid overage funds and issuing student wages at MN North. To set up your Direct Deposit account, complete the following steps:

Login to your e-Services account using your Star ID and password

Select the Financial Aid tab, then select Direct Deposit Setup

Click to Add Direct Deposit Account

Enter banking information as requested, and reenter your Star ID password, then Save

Setup status will indicate “Pending” for approximately 24 hours. This will change to “Active” when your bank has verified your account and your Direct Deposit is ready to use.

A variety of financial aid sources are available to help you pay for college or career school. Financial aid can come from federal, state, school, and private sources to help you pay for college or career school.

Please notify the Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarships you anticipate receiving through your e-Services offer notice acceptance process.

Grants and scholarship funds in excess of your tuition/fee costs, plus books is taxable income and must be reported on your tax return.

Work-study and other types of student employment offer eligible students the opportunity to work part-time on or off campus. Work schedules can be built around class time to allow for greater flexibility and student success, while earning a paycheck.


Types of Loans

Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school. Subsidized loans do not accumulate interest until six months after the student has stopped attending or has dropped below half-time enrollment.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but eligibility is not based on financial need. Unsubsidized loans begin to accumulate interest at the time of disbursement. 

Students are required to have completed the following on the Federal Student Aid site before federal loans can disburse: 

  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) for undergraduates,  
  • Financial Awareness Counseling 
  • Loan Entrance Counseling  
  • Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement 

Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid. Eligibility is not based on financial need, but a credit check is required. Click here to apply.  

*If your Parent Plus application is denied, please contact the financial aid office for information on how we can turn that denial into more Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan for the student.

Alternative student loans may be used to supplement federal student loans, grants, and other forms of financial aid not sufficient to cover the full cost of education. These loans are made available to students or parents through lending institutions. Funds may be used for any education related expense. 


The Minnesota SELF Loan is offered by the State of Minnesota and requires a credit worthy co-signer. You may choose between a variable or fixed interest rate. Visit the Minnesota SELF Loan website to view loan information including Frequently Asked Questions, SELF Entrance Counseling and to apply. 

You can manage your federal loan balance and complete Loan Exit Counseling, as well as find information regarding loan repayment, consolidation, and answers to questions about loan deferment, forbearance, default, and others on the Federal Student Aid – Manage Loans website. 

Confidentiality of Financial Records 

The General Education Provision of the Act of 1974, as amended by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, provides for privacy safeguards for students and families by setting up guidelines for the disclosure of education records and personally identifiable information. The law provides that financial assistance records of a student may be inspected by that student only.