Vermilion recognizes that there are students who may experience challenges in their lives outside of the classroom which impact their academic performance. Challenges may include food insecurity, safe and stable housing, transportation, issues with childcare, family obligations, physical and mental health, unexpected bills, or issues with accessing technology.

As a student, your safety, health, and well-being are our primary concerns and we want to be
able to support you in any way that we can. This is not an exhaustive list of current offerings and
will be updated regularly to reflect changes with services, resources, and support.

If you have questions or would like to add resources to this list contact Kate Cowley 218-235-
2121 or email

Minnesota North College and Minnesota State have partnered with United Way 211 to establish a statewide basic needs resource hub. The basic needs resource hub provides all students access to basic needs resources and support available on campus and in the community via phone, text, or chat 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

United Way 211 provides free and confidential health and human services information. They are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to connect you with the resources and information you need. If you’re looking for information about services available in your community for you or a loved one, they can help.

Text MNHELP to 898-211(TXT211) or call 211 (toll free at 1-800-543-7709) to speak with one of their highly trained information and referral specialists. Your call is completely confidential, and they have call menus in English, Spanish, and Hmong. Interpreters are also available for any language.

Visit the 211 website to learn more or to explore resources and support that may be available.

To search the 211 database of basic needs resources online, please visit the student basic needs website.

  • Ely Housing and Redevelopment Authority: (218) 365-3900
  • AEOA Homeless Services: (800) 662-5700
  • United Way Entry Point for Homeless Services: Call 2-1-1
  • Minnesota Housing Resources
  • Another Door Emergency Housing in Duluth: (218) 391-5145
  • If someone is in immediate danger: Call 9-1-1
  • To report sexual violence or harassment on Vermilion’s campus, contact: Jeff Nelson at (218) 235-2193 or
  • Ely Police Department: (218) 365-3224
  • Minnesota Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 866-223-1111
  • Minnesota Day One Crisis Line: (952) 884-0330
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
  • Child Reporting: 1-800-450-9777
  • Vulnerable Adult/Elderly Reporting: 1-844-880-1574
  • Advocates for Family Peace 24-hour Crisis Line: 1-800-909-8336
  • Safe Haven Shelter and Resource Center in Duluth: (218) 623-1000; 24-hour crisis line: (218) 623-1000
  • The Sexual Assault Program of Norther St. Louis County: 1-800-300-3102; or contact local Advocate: (218) 780-7227
  • Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault
  • Violence Free Minnesota